domenica 18 novembre 2007

Learning through podcasts (e-tivity 6)


Hi everyone!

‘What podcasting does is it lets me pick out those precise things I'm interested in’ – Steve Jobs, co-founder and chief executive officer of Apple

Podcasts are very useful sources available on the Internet. As you probably know, they are digital media files that you can watch or listen to directly from your computer or that you can download and then transfer to your mp3 player. These files have an important characteristic: they can be syndicated thanks to feeds so you can be informed when new material is added. If you want to get further information, please visit our course blog or click here.

The first time I heard about podcasts was a year ago, when my boyfriend bought his i-Pod. While I was using his mp3 player, I found these files in his playlist and I asked him about them. He told me he had downloaded the podcasts about his favourite radio or TV shows. I immediately thought that podcasts were wonderful tools! Anyway, I could appreciate them better thanks to my university course because I realized there’s a wide range of podcasts that can be useful for my language learning, especially for my listening and vocabulary. I can choose the files which I’m most interested in, such as English lessons, news, business English. Some years ago this was not possible!

I can do whatever I want with these files:

- watching or listening to them from my computer

- download them onto my computer and then upload onto my mp3 player

I prefer the second option because I can listen to podcasts (I haven’t a video-mp3 player and I can’t watch video files ;-) ) whenever I want. For example, yesterday I downloaded a podcast about business English and I listened to it while I was taking the dog for a walk. I must admit it’s great! I don’t have to spend time on the Internet or watch satellite TV in order to improve my English. Moreover, it’s a good alternative if I'm not at home.

I found four useful websites hosting podcasts and I subscribed to their feeds thanks to Bloglines. Every time a new content is added, Bloglines lets me know.

Here are the websites:

1. http://www.china232.com/

This website was created by two English teachers living in Shangai. The site contains a lot of interesting and fun podcasts that can be useful to improve my listening skills. The files deal with conversation about many different topics, such as university, diet, English pronunciation. Moreover, there’s a section dealing with business English, a section with many videos, a blog, a discussion forum. The podcasts are divided into different lessons, and every lesson is followed by the transcription of the conversation, and by phrases and words occurring in the lesson. A good way to improve my listening and vocabulary!

2. http://www.businessenglishpod.com/

This website deals with business English and targets intermediate and advanced business English learners. It’s very interesting because it hosts a lot of audio and video podcasts about different topics: marketing, job interviews, telephone calls, etc. The podcasts deal with different lessons. I think this site could be useful for a job in the future. The podcasts are followed by their transcription and by some questions useful to improve my learning.

3. http://www.breakingnewsenglish.com/

This website deals with news, which I can listen to thanks to podcasts. I can also read their transcription and do the exercises advised by the website. There are a lot of listening exercises: pre-listening, listening, post-listening exercises. This could be useful to improve my comprehension and my vocabulary. Moreover, there are many exercises I can do to improve my writing. There's only a problem with this site: it doesn't use feeds.

4. http://edition.cnn.com/services/podcasting/

CNN offers a lot of audio and video podcasts dealing with many different subjects, such as news, business, health, TV shows. I can find the files which I'm most interested in very easily and quickly because I can choose podcasts by title or topic. I decided to subscribe to 'The CNN daily' podcasts and the 'CNN news update' podcasts, but there are many other podcasts available on this website.


There is another website hosting interesting podcasts. I saved in my del.icio.us and subscribed to it a week ago, and I’d like to write about it briefly.

5. http://www.thebobandrobshow.com/

This website contains audio podcasts about English lessons, which deal with many different subjects. It’s a variety show performed by two EFL teachers living in
Japan.


I hope you’ll find these websites useful!

See you!


Giovanna


(photo source)

7 commenti:

Business English ha detto...

I just wanted to write in and say thanks for mentioning our podcast in your blogs and to congratulate you all on some very well written articles.

It’s great to know what listeners think of our podcast and your comments regarding the novelty of podcasting were very informative from our perspective. Sometimes we forget that the technology and terminology surrounding podcasting is completely new to most of our audience and your comments are a useful reminder.

My compliments to you all on these well researched and written posts and I’m sure your efforts will be rewarded with steady progress in reaching your language goals.

All the best

Peter
BusinessEnglishPod.com

BTW. I listen to the Bob and Rob show too - they're one of the very first ESL podcasts and they also run a 'portal' (a website directory) listing all the ESL podcasts available: http://englishcaster.com/

Giovanna S. ha detto...

Dear Peter,

What a nice surprise to receive a comment from you!

Your website is very useful and well-organized, and it's worth mentioning. I hope that other students will visit it and find it interesting.

I'm glad you read my post and left a comment! Thank you for your support and compliments!!

Giovanna

Elisa rossi ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!
First of all, I want to congratulate you for your post: it is really well done and one can see that you are really interested in this topic and that you like so much podcasts!You also convinced me that I should download them on my mp3 player and listen to them for example in the train (I spend so much time in trains!). Your blog is really well done..I have to learn from you! I see that you recived a comment from BusinessEnglishPod.com:I think it is a clear award for your engagement. The site I prefer is www.businessenglishpod.com because it is clear and easy to use and it offers a huge number of topics and, as you said, targets are intermediate and advanced business English learners so it is quite good for us. Moreover, it gives questions about the text and so one can directly see how much he has understood.
thank you!
Elisa

Fred ha detto...

Hey! Wow...you received a comment from the site you mentioned! It's so nice to think that someone else can read our blogs! Sometimes you think that you're writing just because you have to...but this is something which make you want to improve your work, isn't it?
I think you did a nice long post. Everything you wrote is clear and complete. I visited all the sites you described in your post an if I have to choose one, I would pick the CNN site. There you can find many interesting podcasts. What I appreciated mostly is the CNN daily. That is something I would download and listen while coming to university, instead of reading the newspaper. But unfortunately I don't have any iPod or mp3 player...so I think I will go on reading newspapers and books on the train to Padua. Thank you very much for your post and your suggestions! Fred.

Business English ha detto...

Hi Fred et al,

Welcome to Web 2.0 - it's a 2-way conversation!

Actually, the sftware most podcast use to run their sites (or blogs) automatically lets us know when someone links back to our site. Part of the art of blogging is following your incoming links back and engaging your audience... at least that's the theory...

Truth be told, it's very rare that a site that links to us actually puts some effort into critiquing our work, so it's really nice to see people engage on this level.

Pete

Eva ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!
I think that you are really a good student. You analyse everything very carefully, you do a lot of searching and you always write long, relevant posts. I admire your determination. I should learn from you!
As there was so much talk about businessenglishpod in the comments to your post, I decided to visit it. It is very different from all other podcasts I had listened to until now, because it deals with business. Although business is far from appealing to me, I believe the site must be very useful for those who are employed in this field. Each podcast is followed by questions and transcripts that invite you to partipcipate actively. The result is that you learn more. A very good website.
Ok, that was all from me. See you in class!

Giovanna S. ha detto...

Dear classmates,

Thank you for your nice and positive comments!! I appreciate them very much! I'm very glad you like my blog and the websites I chose. Thank you very much!
As for podcasts, I agree with Elisa...listening to podcasts while we're on the train is a great idea!

See you on Monday!

Giovanna