sabato 3 novembre 2007

My experience with Bloglines (e-tivity 4)

Hi everyone!

I’ve just learnt how to use Bloglines and I must admit I’m quite satisfied with myself! Thanks to e-tivity 4 I understood the importance of this website. Maybe you’re wondering what I’m talking about…Let’s start with some definitions!

Bloglines is a website that serves as feed aggregator. This means that it collects the updates of your favourite websites. You have simply to register for an aggregator, such as Bloglines, and subscribe to your favourite websites or blogs through feeds, which are data formats thanks to which you'll receive the updates of the sites you selected. If you want to read more about this topic, please visit our course blog and read about e-tivity 4, which is entitled ‘Feeds’.

When I started reading about Bloglines, I was very curious about this new interesting technology. Anyway, I was also afraid not to understand how it works, because I couldn’t attend the lab lesson. I read the task carefully and I watched the videos posted in our course blog, and the e-tivity became immediately clear. Moreover, I also talked to one of my peers, who gave me advice. I’d like to thank her very much!

As soon as I registered for Bloglines and I started adding the feeds related to my favourite websites, I understood the importance and easiness of this aggregator. In order to organize my feeds, I created four playlists: ‘Group J’, ‘Online newspapers’, ‘Friends’, and ‘Other blogs’.
This feed aggregator can save me a lot of time because I don’t need to visit all the sites or blogs to know if there are some updates. I have just to visit Bloglines (and log in to my account), and I can keep track of these websites by clicking on the playlists I created. Great!
If I want to visit my favourite websites, I have just to click on their links. Moreover, there is also the opportunity to participate in forums, and this is very interesting.

I hope to receive comments with your opinions!

See you!

Giovanna


(photo source)

7 commenti:

Fred ha detto...

Hey! I've just read about your experience with Bloglines. You're right: we all were curious about a feed aggregator. Many of us didn't know what it was. Now we all agree that it let us save a lot of time, instead of clicking on each blog and see if it had been updated. I loved reading your explanation of what a feed aggregator is and how you used it. Nice post!
Federico.

Elisa rossi ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!
I liked your post about feed aggregator, especially because you give a clear definition of this technology! Moreover, I think that it was not easy for you to understand how to use bloglines from home (I know that you cannot follow the lessons) but I see that you did everything and not only without problems, but also with great success!!
However, the thing that surprised me the most is how beautiful your blog is!! How did you do it? I have lots of problems with the layout and the pictures of my blog... I will ask you help!
See you soon! Elisa

Giovanna S. ha detto...

I've just read your comments and I'd like to thank you for your support!

Elisa, just ask me if you need help...You can write me a comment or tell me your problems before the speaking lessons, and I'll try to help you!!

Giovanna

alicev ha detto...

Hi Giovanna,

I enjoyed reading your post about Feeds because you've explained very clearly how one can use such tools and what one can do through them!
I share what you wrote about saving time... Feeds are really useful!
Now that through feeds I can save time while checking updates to other Blogs, I'll be able to devote myself to longer posts!!! ;-)

I hope you'll add to your playlist on bloglines my blog as well!

Alice

Alice

Eva ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!

Thanks for your positive comment! To be honest I don't think I'm fluent. Many times I don't know how to explain what I think in English and I spend long minutes fishing for a suitable word. Well, I hope to get better with time.

Well yes, I did know about the RSS but I didn't know that we call that feeds. Actually I'm still in doubt this is the same thing. I never used a site like Bloglines. Maybe there was a misunderstanding. :)

See you!

Giovanna S. ha detto...

Hi Alice!

Thank you for your comment! I'll surely add your blog to my playlist. When I subscribed to the feeds of my favourite sites, I put not only the blogs of my group, but also other blogs, such as my friend's one. She's in another group, but I like reading her posts!

Did Sarah assign you to our group (group J)?

Let me know!

Giovanna

Giovanna S. ha detto...

Dear Eva,

I think there was a misunderstanding too!
Don't worry if you sometimes find difficulties in finding the right words to use...I think you write in English very well! This is why I wrote you a positive comment on your post. ;-)

See you!

Giovanna