domenica 25 novembre 2007

Let's improve English through YouTube! (e-tivity 7)



Hi everyone!

Today I’m going to write about YouTube. I think we all know what this website is about because it’s very interesting and famous. Anyway, if you want to get more information click here.
I found out this tool some years ago thanks to my boyfriend, and I immediately thought it was great, and I still think that. YouTube gathers a huge collection of videos, which can be watched by everyone. This website is clearly organized and easy to use. There’s a search engine at the top of the homepage. You have just to write a world and click on ‘search’: the website will show you all the videos related to the key word/s you wrote. Then, you have to click on the video you’re interested in. That’s all! Isn’t it easy?
The website also gives a list of other interesting websites related to the video you're watching so you can find other useful sources very easily.

Let’s stop for a while and think about the title of the website: ‘YouTube. Broadcast yourself.’ What does it mean? It means that everyone can add his/her own videos. We are the authors of the website, and we collaborate in order to widen it. We have just to register for YouTube and then we can upload our videos, which can deal with ourselves, science, politics, current affairs, music, nature…whatever we want.
The website links people who want not only to share their own videos with others, but also to offer useful and interesting sources to others. Unfortunately you can find stupid or offensive videos too, if they were not flagged as inappropriate. This happen when people don’t respect others, or don’t understand the importance of YouTube as a source.
Comments and groups are other ways to link YouTube users. When people have a YouTube account, they can leave comments on videos, or taking part in groups in order to discuss issues with others. I think this can be helpful in order to know others’ points of view. When people share their videos, they share their ideas as well.
Another positive aspect of YouTube are categories. If you click on ‘categories’ (you find this button at the top of the homepage), you can see that videos are divided into different topics, such as ‘comedy’, ‘news and politics’, 'entertainment'. This can make your search easier.

Videos are really good sources: while you’re watching them, you're learning from them and enjoying yourself. The collection of videos widens every day, and you always have the opportunity to find something you’re interested in. For example, if you don’t know anything about a town or a musician, you can search for some videos. That’s fantastic! You can get information just with a click.

This is true for language learning as well. I can find many interesting English videos to practise my listening and enrich my vocabulary, even when they don’t deal directly with language learning. For example, as I'm keen on music, TV, and cinema, I like searching for songs, pieces of movies, documentaries in English. I must admit I've always used YouTube only for these purposes. Anyway, I found out that there are videos aimed at ESL/EFL students too. They could help me improving my listening and enriching my vocabulary, or learning more about a topic (e.g. I found a video about essay writing, and a YouTube member offering videos for ESL teachers and students). There's another website dealing with teaching and videos. It's entitled 'TeacherTube'. Even though I'll search for more videos about language learning, I think I'll concentrate better on videos about my interests in order to combine learning with pleasure.

As we learnt how to use podcasts in order to improve our English, let’s compare YouTube videos to podcasts. Audio and video podcasts are useful because you can upload them onto your mp3 player, whereas if you want to watch a video on YouTube, you have to sit at your computer. Anyway, I think that YouTube contains a lot of interesting videos, which are very easy to find, whereas podcasts are scattered across the Web. I think that YouTube and podcasts are two different sources, but they're both useful to improve language learning. Do you agree with me?

I know that some people don't like YouTube because they find it confusing, and also because they think that using YouTube is a waste of time. What do you think about it?

Let me know!

See you!

Giovanna

(photo source)

7 commenti:

Eva ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!

As I wrote in my post, I'm a bit sceptical about YouTube and I don't consider it as a very useful tool in language learning. The comparison you did between podcasts and YouTube is interesting and it makes me even more convinced that YouYube is not as useful as podcasts.
Anyway, when looking for videos, concerts, funny clips, even documentaries, YouTube is the ideal tool.

vale ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!
U seem to be very positive about youtube..and u are right because it offers many interesting videos..and u can get them quickly and for free..my point is that the amount of material on youtube is really endless so if u don't know clearly what u are searching for the risk is to loose time and, as happened to me, get nervous!
see u!

Elisa rossi ha detto...

Hi Giovanna! You are always so well informed about web tools that you surprised me! You gave me interesting information about Youtube that I didn't know...thank you! I'm not sure that Youtube could me useful for learning but I see that many of you think so and probably I should try to use it! The fact is that I don't like to spend too much time in front of the computer, so I usually avoid it! Perhaps, when I will have a more fast pc I will use it more that what I do now! Thank you for your advice!!
Eli

Fred ha detto...

Hi. Wow...another long post from you! Could you please think about your poor classmates every now and then??? Ha ha ha! I'm joking, of course! Reading your posts is always a pleasure!
As you noticed we share the same positive enthusiastic attitude towards YouTube. I think it can be a very useful tool for us to improve our language skills, in particular listening and pronunciation.
I’m quite used to visit this site every now and then. So, since I know it quite well, I can say that you wrote a nice description of what YouTube is and how it works. If someone doesn’t know anything about this site I think they can go and read your post, which is very clear and well-structured. Thank you!

alicev ha detto...

Hi Giovanna!

Thank you so much for your kind comment on my video! I appreciate very much when people praise me ;-) however if you have any critical comment on my appearance please feel free to post it to me whenever you want, even though negative they are precious to me because they'll help me to understand what I've got still to improve!

Getting back to our e-tivity, you asked me if YouTube might serve us with useful videos in order to learn and improve our oral English skills:
Yes, I think so, even though I haven't found yet anything so valuable. Until now the most effective tools I exploited for such aim are Podcasts: I downloaded a number of them in English and even in German language. I believe they can be more profitable devices than YouTube's videos because they avoid me wasting time... The problem is that when I'm looking for videos on YouTube I happen to watch other kind of videos, which do not share anything with English learning...

Did you find any helpful video that you would recommend me?

Thanks in advance,

Alice

Eva ha detto...

HI Giovanna!

Yes, do come to Slovenia; I will be happy to show you around!

eva

Giovanna S. ha detto...

Hi classmates!
Here are short messages for you!

Dear Eva,
I'm glad to know you appreciated my comparison between podcasts and YouTube. Anyway, you prefer podcasts so you didn't change your mind...but 'variety is the spice of life'! ;-)
As for Slovenia, you're very nice! If I visit your country I'll surely let you know...thank you very much!!!
See you soon!

Dear Vale,
Sometimes technologies make us nervous...it happens to me too! Don't worry! With some tries you'll find whatever (…almost whatever!) you want. ;-)
Bye!

Dear Elisa,
I'm glad you find my post useful! As I already told you some weeks ago, I like the fact you don't get discouraged easily...you're always optimistic about technologies you've never used or you don't know. That’s great!
Bye!

Dear Fede,
I appreciated your nice comment! Anyway, perhaps the post was really too long... I have always many things to say! ;-) I think that your post is well-structured and clear as well.
See you!

Dear Alice,
Like Eva, you prefer podcasts. They’re indeed very useful sources. Anyway, YouTube can help us improving our listening skills and enriching our vocabulary too, even when the videos don't precisely deal with language learning. For example, you can watch a documentary in English. In my post I wrote a link to a YouTube channel offering videos aimed at ESL/EFL learners. Have a look at my blog!
Bye!